There are many forms of gambling for New Zealand. You can buy a lotto ticket, bet on sports or play slots, blackjack, and other games in casinos. Nowadays, online casinos have become very popular, giving us an opportunity to gamble online. So, if you want to gamble legal and safe, we created a small guide with useful information. It will allow you to understand the laws, restrictions and the limit age, which is required to play casinos.
At what age can you play in the casino?
You become an adult at 20 years old in New Zealand. At this age you can earn minimum wage rates. However, at 18 years old you can legally drink in pubs, buy tobacco, and many more things, including purchasing property. At 16 you can get married and have sex. (consensual). And what’s about gambling? The legal age to play casinos depends on a particular form of gambling activities.
To play lotteries there is no limit age, however, in order to play pokies in pubs, restaurants and clubs you have to be 18 years or over. As well as sports betting, you need to be over 18 to place a bet, otherwise, if you place a bet being under 18 you will be fined up to $500.
In case you want to hit the poker tables in one of New Zealand’s land-based casinos, you have to be over 20. In order to access the gambling casino area to buy drinks or place bets, you are required to be an adult. To prove your age in a NZ casino, you can show your valid passport or driver’s license. Be aware that fake identification can cost you up to $500 plus a ban in casinos, like SkyCity for 2 years.
As you understand, land-based casinos have several restrictions, and a popular alternative for that is online gambling. For any online betting you are required to be over 18. However, with online gambling it’s not that easy. There are many restrictions, concerning online gambling in NZ. Long story short, Kiwis are able to play any offshore casinos. According to the Gambling act from 2003, all gambling sites registered in NZ are prohibited for any operation. However, if the casino site is registered overseas, and is not regulated by NZ authority, it’s fully legal to play with them. In addition, you can keep 100% of your prize without taxation.
Who regulates online gambling?
In fact, online casinos are regulated by several gambling authorities. Some of them are more strict with the rules, some of them more loyal. The majority of casinos are regulated by reliable and reputable regulators, and certified by independent agencies, like eCOGRA audit company. It means that you’re in a safe place, if you choose the right one. Make sure to do a little homework and read our casino reviews. The most respected regulators are the UK Gambling Commission, Malta Gaming Authority, Kahnawake Gaming Commission and Curacao Gambling Control. How to find if the casino is licensed or not? In order to do that, go to the bottom of the page in the casinos site and look for the logo of one of these authorities.
We hope you know at what age you can play, and how to play legal. All things considered, you have to be over 18 to play online casinos. However, you are required to be over 20 to play land-based casinos in New Zealand.
It is not a secret to anyone that online casinos are ‘tricky things’. People use them for money, and reversely, online casinos are using the gamblers’ attention to get the money. What’s interesting, the only party that takes the real big money is the casino site itself.
Fine, in defense of online casinos, I should say that online casinos do the dirty work collaborating with the services, providers and many more. As a result, they are presenting a ‘candy’. That is what you see – the attractive gambling site.
There are some stages that online casinos go through to make the continuous work successfully. Let’s see these steps more closely.
- Attention stage. At this point the online casinos attract players by ads on emails, social nets and specific sites. Once you get caught, the casino site starts handling your personality. In other words, you get attracted even more. Different bonuses and casino policy help with it.
- Registration. Obviously, after you get completely stuck on the site, you find yourself filling in the sign-up form. Congratulations, you’re a member of the casino.
- Depositing. This stage is the cream of the crop for online casinos. You give them your first funds. This money is still yours until you start playing.
- Bonuses. Perhaps, bonuses are the things that attracted you the most. They have pitfalls, to tell the truth. (You can read about it on our site). So, you claim for the bonus as you meet all the requirements.
- Games. If you started the game right with the real money mode, you will most probably lose them all (unless you have experience). So, you start betting, spinning, playing and winning or losing. It depends on RNG. The generator gives out fair and random results. Finally, you lose a part of your money that goes to the house edge (budget) of an online casino. Sometimes you win it back, sometimes no. If you want to return it, as soon as you get the total balance over your starting sum, quit the game.
- Withdrawal. You can withdraw at any time. Just make sure you’ve completed the bonus requirements if you’re using them. So you go to the banking page and select the payout option. Look through the methods available and fill in the form.
- Verification. This process takes time. If you are a newbie at the casino, it may take several days. Basically, the casino team just wants to make sure you are the real person, and not a fraud. At this stage the casino might ask for extra info and dos. You’d better give them everything they need.
- Payout. After the successful previous stage, they send your winning to the banking option you’ve selected. Wait for the money.
Using bonuses is one of the profitable methods to make money on online casinos. In fact, many gamblers have built up a strategy of making money on bonuses only. They’re not really interested in the games.
There is one condition under which players get the bonus money. It’s the terms. As you know, every bonus has T&Cs. Generally, these terms include wagering requirements like you need to spin 50 times before actual withdrawal. The terms are the point.
You have to search for the online casinos that have the following or alike phrase in the bonus terms: “…Bonus offer can be withdrawn at any time”. If you have found this, it’s comparable to a Jackpot. After you have deposited the minimum required, got the bonus cash and met all the terms, you can request the withdrawal. Absolutely without a risk of being banned for bonus abuse. However, it doesn’t mean that you will win. You can equally lose some rounds while you’re completing the requirements.
Table games & bonus
Using bonuses in table games is another strategy to make money on bonuses. It is known that table games have the highest RTPs, which means a player can have increased probability of winning results. The idea is that you deposit, get the bonus and meet the requirements while winning in table games. No doubt, you have a risk of failing rounds too. When you complete the terms, you can successfully finish the game and withdraw. Mind one thing: check out if the table game you select is valid for the bonus. Otherwise, you can’t use the offer in your favor.
What to do if you have lost the game, and haven’t yet met the requirements
You need to deposit once again. It may sound insane, but it’s the only way to take advantage of the bonus. After you finally complete the terms you can play a bit further if you have nice results. But don’t overspin. Some rounds can be failing.
Slot machines have always been attraction number 1 for gamblers. From long ago the hot-eyed players came into the casino venues with big enthusiasm to play slots and win right away. It feels funny that even after decades people still can’t find the way to win at slots. This perfect mechanism run by RNG has hardly ever failed online casinos. Slots bring much profit to the sites and keep attracting players as if using some magic.
Not a single doubt arises when you read yet another news about the lucky man who won a big sum just spinning the reels. This feels unbelievable as every time you launch the game, you leave it with an empty wallet and angry emotions. How do they win? What is the secret?
The truth is they are just lucky. This is the secret, the power, the what-you-need. Of course, it may sound too dramatic. Luck has nothing to do with automatic mechanisms like RNG. Still, luck is what we inviolately believe in.
You can’t influence your luck. It’s something given by nature. However, if you study the thoughts materialization and similar spiritual practices, you can approach winnings. But that’s all very dreamy, let’s get to the realistic methods.
Hints to win slots
What I am going to tell you are not really hints, they are rather recommendations. Try to use them even against your will. Even when your heart tells you to make another spin, follow the instructions in full obedience.
- The right slot. You should know which slot will make you win. It’s not a guarantee but slots with the RTPs over 95% tend to give the players’ money back to them. So, try to find an interesting slot with an average RTP of 97%.
- Practice makes perfect. Before you really deposit and place bets on slots, try to practise the selected game in a free mode. During the free game you can place whatever bet sum you want, you can try out all the bonus features and study the game behavior. As you feel confident in the slot, proceed to the real money mode.
- Small bets. Mind that the actual game is not like the free game. Here you can’t play max bet rounds unless you want your money to fly away. Your first several bets should be the smallest. Test the game for real money, don’t let the RNG spoil your day.
- Play with the RNG. The randomizer analyzes your bet amount, your total balance and your behavior during the whole session. It’s your right to change bets, you can do it with every spin. I guess you’ve already noticed that the reels and positions sometimes are failing with each following spin. And alternatively they give constant winning results. It’s the game of the RNG waiting for you to give up. But you can play with it too, Whenever it gives winnings, raise bets, when losses – lower it to the minimum.
- Quit at the right time. As soon as you catch the winning wave of the random results, quit the game after the first failing spin. It’s a high probability that you will have a losing track of rounds. It’s hard to stop but you have to press the cross sign. Realize that you’ve already won the slot! Only if you quit the game right away, you can maintain your winnings and withdraw them.