There are many forms of gambling for New Zealand. You can buy a lotto ticket, bet on sports or play slots, blackjack, and other games in casinos. Nowadays, online casinos have become very popular, giving us an opportunity to gamble online. So, if you want to gamble legal and safe, we created a small guide with useful information. It will allow you to understand the laws, restrictions and the limit age, which is required to play casinos.
At what age can you play in the casino?
You become an adult at 20 years old in New Zealand. At this age you can earn minimum wage rates. However, at 18 years old you can legally drink in pubs, buy tobacco, and many more things, including purchasing property. At 16 you can get married and have sex. (consensual). And what’s about gambling? The legal age to play casinos depends on a particular form of gambling activities.
To play lotteries there is no limit age, however, in order to play pokies in pubs, restaurants and clubs you have to be 18 years or over. As well as sports betting, you need to be over 18 to place a bet, otherwise, if you place a bet being under 18 you will be fined up to $500.
In case you want to hit the poker tables in one of New Zealand’s land-based casinos, you have to be over 20. In order to access the gambling casino area to buy drinks or place bets, you are required to be an adult. To prove your age in a NZ casino, you can show your valid passport or driver’s license. Be aware that fake identification can cost you up to $500 plus a ban in casinos, like SkyCity for 2 years.
As you understand, land-based casinos have several restrictions, and a popular alternative for that is online gambling. For any online betting you are required to be over 18. However, with online gambling it’s not that easy. There are many restrictions, concerning online gambling in NZ. Long story short, Kiwis are able to play any offshore casinos. According to the Gambling act from 2003, all gambling sites registered in NZ are prohibited for any operation. However, if the casino site is registered overseas, and is not regulated by NZ authority, it’s fully legal to play with them. In addition, you can keep 100% of your prize without taxation.
Who regulates online gambling?
In fact, online casinos are regulated by several gambling authorities. Some of them are more strict with the rules, some of them more loyal. The majority of casinos are regulated by reliable and reputable regulators, and certified by independent agencies, like eCOGRA audit company. It means that you’re in a safe place, if you choose the right one. Make sure to do a little homework and read our casino reviews. The most respected regulators are the UK Gambling Commission, Malta Gaming Authority, Kahnawake Gaming Commission and Curacao Gambling Control. How to find if the casino is licensed or not? In order to do that, go to the bottom of the page in the casinos site and look for the logo of one of these authorities.
We hope you know at what age you can play, and how to play legal. All things considered, you have to be over 18 to play online casinos. However, you are required to be over 20 to play land-based casinos in New Zealand.
A mobile casino is an easy way to access casinos games. Players can use smartphones and tablets to receive the best experience playing from any location. Latest smartphones run casinos smoothly and feature many fascinating games.
Online gambling is a challenging thing that is even ending in failure and addiction for some people. So, before you start playing at casinos online, make sure that you are not prone to addictions and take responsibility for your actions. I recommend making this decision only if you feel right about it. After this you have to consider some more points before actual start.
- Is it legal? You need to check if online gambling is legal in your country. Otherwise it may cost you a sentence. However, there is a little hint. Even though the online casinos are prohibited, there still can be a chance to play at international gambling sites. Check if it’s right for your country. For example, New Zealanders can’t play and open an online casino within their country, but they can gamble at international ones based in Malta or Curacao.
- Real or scam? The most important decision is to choose the online casino. There are many scams, or fake casinos, that just take your money and never give back. On the other hand, there are good right casinos online. They are licensed and have their activity officially registered. If you have trouble with searching for the right one, we have already cared about it. Check our relevant articles about safe casinos online that are also acceptable in NZ. Then you can be sure there is no risk of being deceived.
- Free games are everything! When you just start your experience at the casinos, you have to start for free. There is no need to deposit until you figure out what online gambling is at all. Begin with a free mode. Some casinos don’t even require registration.
- It’s time for a bonus! As soon as you are ready to continue with real money, go sign-up. Generally, gambling sites offer impressive deposit bonuses for beginners.So, use this opportunity and claim for the one. In advance, read the terms and wagering requirements. You’ll have to follow them.
- The game makes sense. Remember that each game is different. Not only in the type and rules, but also in the theoretical return to player. To be more exact, you need to select a game with a higher RTP (over 95%) in order to get a bigger win. Usually, the high RTP games are table like poker, favourite roulette, blackjack or ever-known baccarat.
- Use strategies. Although all games are random, people are still trying to find some consistent pattern. Besides, they think over strategies of betting. If you try to follow some strategy at table games, for example, it may result in an advantage by the end.
- Finish on time. Just at the moment when you hit a big sum, close the game. Yes, you have to unless you want to lose everything. Understand that you’ve had enough for today and continue next time. Taking a break at the right time is the secret for successful gambling.
All in all, even considering all these tips for the beginning of your gambling career, remember that your luck is the key. Each game is absolutely random and the result depends on your luck only. Sometimes you have big luck and win, but whenever you feel that you luck goes away, stop playing and quit for a better time.
We recommend you to study the software from popular NZ manufacturers such as NetEnt, Playtech, Microgaming. These brands have many slot machines with minimum bets of 0.25 to $1. In this case, a deposit of $5 will be enough for you to play and receive a win.